A company Finance Director manages the day-to-day operation of the finance team and helps to drive business success by providing the financial insights that lead to better commercial decisions. A Finance Director role blends strategy with operations, risk and compliance.
Finance Director job description and responsibilities
The Finance Director is responsible for making sure the company meets financial and legal obligations. They create and maintain best practice reporting, procedures and policies, and support the business with risk and compliance.
They act as the connection between the finance team and the CEO or CFO, helping to drive strategy and hit targets using their financial insight, while also overseeing the finance team as a whole.
Typical daily duties include:
- Managing cash flow
- Preparing the monthly management accounts
- Overseeing reporting, forecasting and budgeting via the finance team
- Offering support on tax, audit and risk
- Managing external relationships with banks, auditors, consultants etc.
- Developing financial and commercial strategy
- Management of processes and controls
- Utilisation of finance systems
Finance Director job qualifications, skills and experience
A strong academic background is preferred for this role, and employers will be looking for a bachelor’s degree (minimum) in one of the following subjects:
Finance Directors should be qualified accountants (ACA, ACCA, CIMA) and should also have plenty of experience in dealing with commerciality, stakeholders and board members. It’s also helpful to have several years’ experience in a financial management role and experience with effective cost control. Good leadership skills are important, especially concerning the development of staff skills.
Employers are looking for professionals with some of the following personal qualities:
- Group and team leadership skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Business acumen
- Strategic thinking
Are you looking for Finance Director jobs? You can find our latest vacancies here.