Purchase ledger responsibilities involve the practical duties of business bookkeeping. They process purchase orders, invoices and expenses, assist with cash management and bank reconciliation as part of the finance team. Accuracy and attention to detail are key for professionals in this role.
Purchase ledger job description and responsibilities
Professionals in this role are tasked with maintaining the company purchase ledger. The following duties are typically included in a purchase ledger clerk job description:
- Logging, maintaining and filing invoices
- Payment authorisation
- Payment processing
- Posting and monitoring petty cash
- Investigating purchase ledger queries
- Creating company reports
- Liaising with suppliers
- Maintaining the accuracy of vendor details
- Processing personal and company expenses
- Assisting with queries and reporting
Purchase ledger qualifications, skills and experience
Purchase ledger professionals don’t necessarily need a degree to qualify for the job, but experience with data input, accounts payable and administration is desirable. Employers may also be looking for evidence of specialist accountancy qualifications, like AAT.
The following skills are also beneficial for securing top roles:
- Impeccable accuracy
- Knowledge of accounting software
- Excellent time-keeping
- Ability to build good working relationships
- Good attention to detail
Are you looking for a purchase ledger job? You can find our latest vacancies here.