An HR business partner matches up organisational objectives with talent acquisition and management. They work alongside business leaders and line managers as an HR consultant, planning hiring strategies which help the business reach its goals.
The HR business partner (sometimes known as an HR manager) is key in helping HR teams to balance business objectives and senior stakeholder expectations with existing team culture, happiness and health. It’s considered an essential role in the organisational structuring of HR.
HR business partner job description and responsibilities
This position builds on a traditional HR role to include planning, strategy and consultation at a business leadership level. It shapes the organisation’s HR structure from the inside out, merging business requirements and objectives with personnel and HR experience to ensure culture is maintained while business requirements are met.
Typical daily duties include:
- Providing HR guidance to business leaders
- Talent management
- Creating hiring strategies which drive business objectives
- Assisting line managers with staff development
- Business succession planning and team restructuring
- Employee relations
- The creation of talent retention strategies
- Maintaining and supporting a healthy company culture
- Employee risk management
- Identifying HR performance measures
HR business partner job qualifications, skills and experience
When hiring for this role, most employers will look for a candidate who has HR management experience—ideally in a generalist area—and the necessary CIPD qualifications.
Although a degree in Human Resources or Human Resources Management is best, a degree in one of the following subjects may also be considered:
- Business Management
An HR Business Partner should have some or all of the following personal attributes:
- Excellent communication skills
- Strategic thinking
- Strong ethics
- Ability to cultivate and maintain good relationships
- Business acumen
- Are you looking for an HR business partner job? You can find our latest vacancies here.