Infrastructure architects are responsible for designing and implementing information systems to fit with a business’ existing infrastructure and initiatives.
Technical ability is only one aspect of the internal infrastructure role. Creative thinking, project management and research also play a key part in the sourcing and design of new solutions which are fit for business purpose.
Infrastructure architect job description and responsibilities
An infrastructure architect works with business leaders to determine the outcomes that a technical project or system should deliver, then they design, build and deploy it as part of a larger project.
Not just tasked with creating new core infrastructure elements, the job role also includes assessing current systems for security and suitability and researching potential upgrades.
Daily duties may include:
- Assessing existing systems to ensure they meet business requirements
- Monitoring the security of existing business systems
- Predicting and overseeing infrastructure or software upgrades based on business needs
- Technical direction of new system implementations
- Creating detailed project plans for new system designs and roll outs
- Reporting on project deployments
Infrastructure Architect job qualifications, skills and experience
An infrastructure architect needs several technical qualifications and plenty of proven industry experience to be considered for an open job role.
Basic qualifications should include a degree in one of the following subjects:
- Software Development
- Computer Science
An additional Masters or PhD are preferred, as well as experience with project management and extensive experience as part of a software engineering team. Other beneficial technical skills would include experience with:
- Enterprise applications
- Information system development
- Network software
- Cloud methodologies
Professionals should have some of the following soft skills in order to be successful in the role:
- The ability to solve problems fast
- Excellent communication skills
- Attention to detail