An IT business analyst works across both business and IT to provide technology solutions. They analyse IT team capabilities and the business’ current processes, models and strategies, then help to design, build and implement new tech solutions.
IT business analyst job description and responsibilities
An IT business analyst opens up a dialogue between senior stakeholders and the IT team. They help to translate business needs into a functioning set of systems and hardware that improve internal processes and overall business performance.
Analysts deep dive into the current business capabilities, needs and technology gaps, then identify appropriate solutions. They lead implementation projects and are expected to manage multiple stakeholders throughout the process.
Once new solutions are installed, the IT business analyst will work through post-project tasks, such as staff training and monitoring the new systems/hardware.
Typical IT business analyst duties include:
- Using modelling tools and analysis to identify business IT needs
- Handling multiple systems to deliver business objectives
- Creating IT project plans
- Stakeholder management (all levels)
- Assisting with software integration
- Staff training for new processes, software and systems
In order to fulfil their roles, professionals will also liaise with IT and financial reporting teams to develop strategies for the optimisation of business costs and reporting.
Because the role is so tied into business decision-making and reporting, professionals should have a good understanding of reporting and regulatory requirements.
IT business analyst qualifications, skills and experience
Most employers require IT business analysts to have a degree. Although any subject would be acceptable, the following are the most desirable:
- Business Studies
- Business Administration
Professionals should be experienced with both business administration and IT. A strong CV will have the following skills and experience:
- Proficient in Oracle
- Experience with analysis or modelling tools
- Excellent data analysis skills
- Project management experience
- Excellent systems analysis skills
- Experience managing stakeholders
Professionals should possess some or all of the following qualities:
- Excellent Excel skills
- Collaborative skills
- Proactive attitude
- Business acumen
- Good written and verbal communication
- An analytical mind