For IT projects to run to budget and on time, an IT project manager is usually required. They are responsible for planning and rolling out IT projects by ensuring that each team is correctly briefed and on track, right down to an individual level.
An IT project manager should be able to develop and maintain excellent working relationships across all departments and be able to work to tight deadlines, resolving project roadblocks as they arise. Good time management is essential, as is a flexible approach to work.
IT project manager job description and responsibilities
An IT project manager should be able to run multiple business-critical IT projects at once, pulling together information and objectives from senior stakeholders and team leads to create a timeline and list of project deliverables which are briefed into team members and monitored until completion.
Professionals should be skilled at budget management and be able to consistently deliver projects within set costs.
- Planning, managing and implementing IT application development projects
- Setting and scheduling project priorities
- Managing and monitoring budgets for IT projects
- Being a point of contact for all project teams
- Issuing IT resources when needed
- Briefing project details to the relevant parties
- Liaising with third parties and external suppliers
IT project manager qualifications, skills and experience
Professionals within this job field should have good mix of management skills, people skills and IT expertise.
They should also have a degree in one of the following subjects:
- IT or Computer Science
- Business Management
Experience in a similar role or with project management is usually preferable, as is a strong technical background. Any of the following technical skills are also beneficial:
- Certified in project planning methodologies such as Scrum, Agile, PMI or Prince2
- Experience with MS Project or other project management software
- A good knowledge of ITIL
- Good knowledge of server systems
- HTML, CSS and JQuery fluency
Skills should also include some of the following personal characteristics:
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Good negotiation skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to keep calm under pressure
- Excellent written and verbal communication