Location : Wells
Post Date : 07 July 2017
Employment Type : Permanent
Job Order Number : 476942
Line of Business : Accounting and Finance
Robert Half are working in Partnership with Diocese Bath & Wells to recruit a Finance Manager based in Wells. This exciting role will see the successful candidate will manage the finance team and have a salary up to £42,000 with Excellent Benefits.
Diocese Bath & Wells Vision
The Diocese of Bath and Wells is one of 41 Church of England dioceses in the country. The diocese loves and serves the 940,000 people who live here through its family of 496 parishes, 181 church schools, 600 clergy and 350 lay ministers.
"In response to God's immense love for us, we seek to be God's people living and telling the story of Jesus".
The aim of the Finance Department is to safeguard the assets of the Diocesan Board of Finance by creating and maintaining reliable accounting systems, processes and procedures and to support other departments by providing them with relevant, accurate and timely financial information.
Reporting directly into the Head of Finance & Operations, you will manage a small team providing development where necessary.
You will also provide technical accounting and preparation of key financial information including budgets, statutory and management accounts to the board, bringing in efficiencies to the finance function.
- Preparation of annual budgets including meeting heads of departments to assist them with their individual budget submissions. Prepare the budget calculations and produce the final budget papers, in consultation with the Head of Finance & Operations.
- Complete quarterly balance sheet and funding reviews (with assistance of Assistant Accountant). Advise the Head of Finance & Operations of any pertinent issues.
- Oversight and management of the main DBF General Ledger, ensuring proper monthly routines and full quarterly closes are carried out
- Preparation of quarterly management accounts for the DBF, (with the assistance of the Assistant Accountant), including reforecasts and distribute to members of the Board and Heads of Departments, responding to any queries and providing additional financial information to assist with their decision making as required throughout the year.
- Ensure that the accounting systems, processes and procedures of the DBF are recorded, reviewed, and enhanced to ensure effective financial control and efficient reporting to management and the Board.
- Prepare and manage the annual budget of the Finance department
- Preparation of the draft year end statutory accounts and audit file for the year-end audit of the DBF and liaison with the auditors. Oversee final printing of Annual report and Accounts
- Deputise for the Head of Finance & Operations when they are not available to report to senior management and other committees on financial matters.
- Ensure that the Finance department is run smoothly and efficiently, including oversight of the subsidiary ledgers: Fund for Church Growth, Zambia, Schools Trust and Custodian Trusts. Ensure Gift Aid claims are made for all ledgers on a timely basis.
- Supervision of the work of the Assistant Accountant and Purchase Ledger Assistant. .
- Review and authorize monthly payrolls prepared by the Assistant Accountant for the DBF and Abbey House. Ensure that payroll payments are made on time. Ensure CSA clergy payroll payment is made on a timely basis.
- Control and co-ordinate the daily management of cash flows for the DBF. Maintain the capital cash flow records, liaising with Property department on housing and Glebe sales and purchases, reporting promptly to the Head of Finance & Operations any potential cash flow issues. Ensure all payments are made when they fall due and that income is received when due. Day to day management of the Diocesan Cash Management scheme.
- Maintain the parish share model, calculating share payable by each parish and liaise with the Head of Finance & Operations and members of the Common Fund Working Group (CFWG) to improve the model, documentation sent to parishes and the process of collecting share payable. Oversight of mailings to parishes on parish share surveys and notification of share. Attend CFWG meetings
- Maintain, develop and record accounting systems, processes and procedures using Access Dimensions or other applicable accounting software.
- Organise training sessions on financial matters for the benefit of parish officers. Oversight of Treasurers' newsletters and the website updating with items of interest to Treasurers' including the Treasurer's Handbook. Oversee the support given on the Diocesan Cashbook.
- Prepare summary financial reports for the Schools Officer Working Groups (SOWG) and report at meetings as required.
- Ensure all required annual documentation from parishes is submitted on time
- Assist the Head of Finance & Operations with any other reasonable ad hoc requests as may be requested.
Salary & Package
- The exciting opportunity based in Wells has a salary up to £42,000 dependent on experience.
- 10% Pension (Non Contributing)
- 25 Days Holiday + Bank holidays + 4 Days Discretionary
- Option of Flexible Working
All 3rd Parties applications will be forwarded onto Robert half who will be conducting the shortlisting for this process.
Robert Half Ltd acts as an employment business for temporary positions and an employment agency for permanent positions. Robert Half is committed to equal opportunity and diversity. Suitable candidates with equivalent qualifications and more or less experience can apply.
BS1 2NT Lewins Mead