Location : Birmingham
Post Date : 14 November 2017
Employment Type : Permanent
Job Order Number : 06000-0010179141
Line of Business : Accounting and Finance
Robert Half Finance and Accounting are currently partnering with the University of Birmingham to identify a high performing Capital Accountant to join this prestigious organisation at their Edgbaston campus.
Reporting directly to the Head of Corporate Accounting, this person will provide financial support for the significant amount of capital work being carried out across the University, contributing to the strategic modelling of the capital programme and its cash implications for the University, as well as supporting major capital projects. The post holder will be responsible for ensuring that capital expenditure and associated financing is correctly monitored and reported in both the management accounts and financial statements. A good knowledge of the accounting standards for capital and revenue project accounting is required as the post holder will be involved in the development of new systems and processes in relation to fixed assets, maintenance and capital programmes.
- Monitor and Report on progress against projects within the University Capital programme.
- Support the process of budget approvals for major capital projects and ensure that budgets for all capital projects are issued in line with the approved capital programme and delegated authority levels.
- Ensure that external capital funding is appropriately utilised and correctly recorded in the management accounts and financial statements.
- Produce analysis of capital and large maintenance cash flows in each financial year and produce forecasts of monthly cashflows in future years to contribute to financial modelling and cash management.
Capital projects monitoring and reporting
- Manage the in-year monitoring of expenditure against agreed capital programme budgets, and deferred capital grant receipts and allocations.
- Ensure the correct accounting treatment is applied to all capital expenditure and associated financing, to include determining the correct depreciation rates to be applied in accordance with accounting policies.
- Produce the monthly summary of major capital projects to be submitted to the Capital Project Monitoring Group.
- Act as the Finance representative on project task groups for certain capital projects.
- Design and maintain a pro-forma business case for major capital projects to ensure that all relevant costs and risks are identified before budgets are approved.
- Contribute to the financial sections of business cases for the approval of major capital projects, looking particularly at affordability and investment payback, including NPV analysis of proposals.
- Work with the Head of Corporate Accounting to produce strategic modelling in relation to the University capital programme, investments appraisals and options for financing.
- Take responsibility for the preparation of 1-year and 5-year month-by-month cashflow forecasts.
- Review all maintenance and associated revenue spending in year for items that should be reclassified as capital and ensure accounting entries are appropriately made and decisions are recorded.
- Work with Estates team on fixed asset valuations in relation to investment assets, property holdings etc. and ensure processes are documented and supporting evidence for any judgements made is retained.
- Ensure that capitalisation of assets is in accordance with UK accounting regulations and funder requirements.
- Assist with the production of the University Annual Accounts, with particular responsibility for areas in relation to the University's programme of maintenance, capital expenditure and associated financing.
- Manage the review of all current capital accounting related Financial Procedure notes, updating and producing new procedures where necessary
- Liaise with Deputy Director of Finance and the Internal Audit team to ensure that procedures are updated to mitigate areas of risk that are identified.
- Project Manage developments and process improvements in relation to Financial Reporting and Capital project reporting, such as the introduction of a computerised asset management system.
- Prepare year-end accounts disclosures in relation to Fixed Assets, Loans and Deferred Capital grants and ensure that accounting policies are appropriate and in line with current GAAP and associated requirements (SORP/HEFCE)
The ideal candidate will hold a recognised accounting qualification, have experience in fixed asset accounting and be a confident user of Excel. You will have A1 communication skills and be confident presenting financial information to non-finance colleagues.
Salary & Benefits
A competitive salary from £35,000 - £38,000 is offered + flexible working + great holidays + pension. A study support package would be considered
Robert Half Ltd acts as an employment business for temporary positions and an employment agency for permanent positions. Robert Half is committed to equal opportunity and diversity. Suitable candidates with equivalent qualifications and more or less experience can apply. By applying to this position, you acknowledge that you have read and accept the following terms: https://www.roberthalf.co.uk/privacy-statement
20 Colmore Circus, Queensway,
B4 6AT Birmingham