Head of Business Partnering and Management Accounts
GBP65000 - 75000 / annum
1st March 2018
Robert Half Finance and Accounting are delighted to be partnering with the University of Birmingham in order to identify an outstanding candidate to join this prestigious organisation as the Head of Business Partnering and Management Accounts.
Robert Half Finance and Accounting are delighted to be partnering with the University of Birmingham in order to identify an experienced Finance Leader to join this prestigious organisation as the Head of Business Partnering and Management Accounts.
The University is undergoing a period of significant change as it seeks to deliver a vision for 2026 that reflects a multi-site operation, providing transformative education, high quality research in an anchor institution in Birmingham that is financially strong. In support of this vision the Finance Office is transforming with a new integrated Finance and HR system being implemented in 2019; in addition many of the structures, activities, policies and procedures for financial activity need to be changed to ensure that they are delivering what is required of a 21st century facilitative finance function.
The Head of Business Partnering and Management Accounts is responsible managing the College and Professional Services Business Partners, the Head of Management Accounts and their teams. In addition, working closely with the Deputy Director of Finance, the Head of Transaction Services and the Head of Corporate Accounting, this post is supporting the delivery of changes in processes, policy and procedures in anticipation of the newly integrated Finance and HR system in 2019.
- Within the Accounting function ensuring the implementation of appropriate controls, processes, reports, systems and organisational structures to deliver effective Budget Centre support and reporting
- Developing and mentoring of the Business Partners to support and advise on strategic decisions
- Advise and support the Head of Management Accounting to ensure the Team work as effectively as possible to ensure integrity of data and relevant reporting
- Ensuring that the staff within the team understand the University's strategy, its financial framework and can fully support the delivery of the financial elements of strategy across all business areas.
- Working in teams at a variety of levels - Boards, committees, peer groups and across the University, within the Finance Office and within the Division on projects, initiatives and as part of the role's regular management accountability
- Delivery of the annual Budget, Forecast and reporting for Budget Centres for inclusion in the corporate position
- Delivery of information for the strategic annual process (known as the Compact) and Budgeting processes
- Driving improvement in business plan derivation and ensuring the financial modelling in all of these is consistent and robust
- Providing Business Partner support to the thematic PVCs for Education, Research and International activity
- Explanation and presentation of variances after the production of the Forecast, in year updates, Budget, financial forecasts and year end accounts, including the preparation of reports to UEB, SPRC & CouncilProcess improvement and Change
Financial development and support
- Deputising for Deputy Director of Finance as appropriate
- Contribute towards the delivery of financial training to Accountancy teams and Budget Centres as well as the Finance Office generally
- Through the delegated authority of the Finance Director, acting as an authorised signatory for contracts and bank transactions
- Ensuring appropriate training and development is undertaken by all staff members in the team
- A qualified accountant with a recognized professional qualification and at least 5 years post-qualified experience
- Experience of working at a senior level in a large and complex organisation
- The ability to analyse complex financial data, draw conclusions from it, use it to inform complex business judgements and to communicate the output to a diverse range of audiences balanced with the ability to contribute to, influence and lead the financial aspects of the strategic planning process, underpinning decisions with sound financial reasoning
- Approachable, balanced in view and considered in the evaluation of issues
- Is prepared to listen to alternative views on proposals/solutions to problems, and act on good advice to make informed decisions
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to gain the trust of and credibility with senior managers, with the ability to communicate persuasively with people at all levels, verbally and in writing, including non-financial audiences
- Has an ability to forge effective internal partnerships with senior colleagues outside of the Finance Office
- Has the capability to adapt management style to working with teams of different sizes, compositions and seniority
- Confidence and ability to operate autonomously
- The ability to lead, manage and motivate a large team of staff, empowering staff to deliver
- Ability to anticipate, plan and promote change, taking a lead role in driving change
- Ability to prioritise against competing demands and work to tight deadlines
- A working knowledge of Oracle systems would be beneficial
Salary & Benefits
A base salary from £65,000 - £75,000 is offered + excellent benefits including flexible working, pension, generous annual leave package.
Robert Half Ltd acts as an employment business for temporary positions and an employment agency for permanent positions. Robert Half is committed to equal opportunity and diversity. Suitable candidates with equivalent qualifications and more or less experience can apply. By applying to this position, you acknowledge that you have read and accept the following terms: https://www.roberthalf.co.uk/privacy-statement