Head of Financial Operations
GBP80000 - 100000 / annum
June 27, 2018
Accounting and Finance
Robert Half Finance and Accounting are delighted to be recruiting for a Head of Financial Operations to join the University of Birmingham at their main campus near Central Birmingham.
The University of Birmingham is a dynamic world class centre of academic scholarship and research ranked globally with over 30,000 students and 7,000 staff. In addition the University operates a conferencing business; a preschool nursery; sports and fitness centre and associated pitches; has subsidiaries running investment properties, a secondary school and China operations; and has a significant investment portfolio to deliver income to support its activities.
The University is undergoing a period of significant change as it seeks to deliver a vision for 2026 that reflects a multi-site operation that is providing transformative education, high quality research in an anchor institution in Birmingham that is financially strong. Recent projects include the opening of a Dubai campus, building a hotel and conference facility and developing a life-sciences campus for the conversion of research into reality in association with businesses.
Following the appointment of the new Finance Director this post is being created to drive the development of new business and enhanced processes and policies to support it. The role is more strategic than operational and will lead the Financial Operations areas of Finance. The postholder will have leadership and management responsibility for Procurement and Transactions (incorporating procurement, insurance, income, payments, payroll, pensions and transactional support). They will deliver the conversion of the Oracle Fusion system from initial go live to business as usual and will be responsible for devising lean processes to support the system that will be consistent across all the University's activities.
* Working with the Finance Director and her other direct reports to develop and implement the mission, values and services of the office. Ensuring that the staff within the Division fully understand the University's strategy.
* Motivating the team to deliver an excellent service across all business areas.
* Driving the service and support culture within the team and Finance.
Systems, processes and procedures
* Working with the Oracle Fusion (New Core) project team to convert the system to business as usual from go live.
* Delivering the supporting processes and procedures to ensure the system operates effectively.
* Devising an appropriate ongoing system support team within Finance and leading on its implementation and conversion to BAU.
* Supporting the delivery of savings through systems and operational development.
* Driving lean and consistent processes in all transactions and financial operations areas.
* Developing and ensuring the aligned operation of appropriate controls and review of all processes, reports, systems and organisational structures to enable staff to maintain effective business relationships across the University.
* Leading on continual system and process improvement post go live.
* Working with IT Services to reduce the number of core finance systems and integrations.
Financial Operations delivery and management
* Establishing and leading Financial Operations to deliver an effective service to the University
* Devising appropriate KPIs for monitoring delivery and performance of the Financial Operations.
* Leading Financial Operations to deliver best practice, efficiency and value for money within the context of the University's strategic goals.
* Working with HR to ensure interrelated activities are appropriately allocated, delivered and seamless.
* Devise financial training for all staff within the office and across the University
* Working with the Finance Director and key stakeholders to develop new business ideas
* With the Deputy Director of Finance helping to develop business development and commerciality within Finance.
* Assist in set-up and operationalizing new business areas, for example the Dubai campus.
* Working in teams at a variety of levels - Boards, committees, peer groups out-with and across the University, within Finance and within the Division on projects, initiatives and as part of the role's regular management accountability.
- Preferably a qualified accountant or other appropriate professional qualification
- Experience of working at a senior level in a large and complex organisation.
- Experience of leading complex teams in a large business.
- The ability to lead, manage and motivate a large team of staff
- Ability to anticipate, plan and promote change, taking a lead role in driving change.
- Appreciation of and empathy with the HE sector and its environment.
- Experience of delivering lean processes and delivering best practice solutions that facilitate core activities.
- Experience of Oracle or Oracle Fusion systems.
- Has an ability to convert strategy into best practice.
- Has an ability to forge effective internal partnerships with senior colleagues outside of the Finance Office.
- The intellectual depth to command respect amongst academic colleagues and the personal qualities to work effectively in partnership with academic staff, including at a senior level.
Salary & Benefits
A salary banding on £80,000 - £100,000 is offered + flexible working + excellent benefits
Robert Half Ltd acts as an employment business for temporary positions and an employment agency for permanent positions. Robert Half is committed to equal opportunity and diversity. Suitable candidates with equivalent qualifications and more or less experience can apply. By applying to this position, you acknowledge that you have read and accept the following terms: https://www.roberthalf.co.uk/privacy-notice