£75,000.00 - £85,000.00 / annum
20th August 2019
Accounting and Finance
Society for Endocrinology
Robert Half are delighted to be partnering on an exclusive basis with the Society for Endocrinology, a world leading authority on hormones based in Bristol, to recruit their new Finance Director
About the Society of Endocrinology
The Society brings together the global endocrine community to share ideas and advance the discipline by engaging policymakers, journalists, patients and the public with hormone science to encourage informed health decisions, and to demonstrate the value of endocrinology to the wider world.
The Society is a not-for-profit organisation and registered charity whose activities are made possible by their wholly owned trading subsidiary, Bioscientifica, which publishes research journals, runs events and provides membership services across the endocrine community. This role will work across the entire organisation (known as SfE Group), responsible for Finance and Facilities for the Group as well as acting as a Director and Company Secretary for Bioscientifica.
The Finance Director is a vital role of huge strategic importance to the Society's growth plans and to ensure the business continues the upward trajectory set over the past few years. The Finance Director role is based at the Society's modern offices, within walking distance of Bristol Parkway, and will report to the Chief Executive and manage a team of ten staff.
- Providing effective input to all strategic planning and review exercises
- Giving regular feedback to the Chief Executive on issues and progress with regard to financial and related parts of the strategy
- Maintaining an overview of SfE Group's current and future financial issues at the widest level
- Member of the Executive Team
- Provide balanced and considered support to the Chief Executive in consideration of all commercial, business plan and executive matters.
- Active participation in the raising and maintenance of high morale across all functions of SfE Group as part of the Executive team.
- Continually develop appropriate financial systems to support transactions processing, management accounting, and budgeting requirements.
- Develop and maintain an effective control environment to ensure that all transactions are logged, entered into the financial system on a timely and accurate basis.
- Manage the production of timely and accurate management accounts, and delivery of same to the senior leadership team.
- Manage the process of producing periodic financial forecasts and annual budgets.
- Challenge all departmental submissions, and the consolidated results.
- Ensuring that relevant and insightful reports are produced for all Bioscientifica Board meetings, and relevant Society committees.
- Effective management of the working capital position of the Group through regular review of Balance Sheet control accounts and other balances.
- Ensuring that all client monies handled are kept demonstrably separate from Society and Bioscientifica funds, and that all client monies are fully reconciled to underlying transactions.
- Represent Bioscientifica in meetings with clients regarding accounting, contract or business development matters as requested.
- Monitor Society reserve balances.
- Liaising with the auditors to ensure timely and cost-effective auditing, and advice on other accounting matters.
- Liaison with the Investment Managers and the Treasurer to ensure that the Society's investments are managed in a professional and cost-effective manner.
- Liaison with banker/s to maintain effective management of all bank facilities.
- Maintain Society / Bioscientifica cash forecasting model and relationships with F/X trading entities to ensure that proper consideration given to forward F/X trading opportunities.
- Ensuring that VAT returns, Companies House and Charity Commission returns, and other required documents are submitted accurately and on time
- Keeping the Society's Chief Executive and Treasurer and Bioscientifica's Chair and Managing Director informed of all relevant financial issues.
- Providing effective support to the Finance Committee - ensuring that any emerging internal / external issues are raised when appropriate.
- Manage, in conjunction with the Facilities Manager, all aspects of Health & Safety, Insurances, property maintenance and work environment.
- An experienced and capable leader, with a track record of successful, empathetic management of Finance teams comprising individuals of differing levels of technical ability, experience and ambition.
- Extensive experience of working with management and team members outside of the Finance function to increase commercial acumen, and a 'challenging' outlook is promoted across the whole business to foster process improvement.
- Experience of assessing suitability of accounting software systems, and continual development / improvement thereof.
- Strong track record in defining and implementing appropriate control environments to ensure that all transactions, including those on behalf of clients, are handled consistently, effectively and in accordance with accounting best practice.
Robert Half are acting as sole agency for this role. First interviews will be the 9th of September. For more information please contact Oliver Price at Robert Half on 01179 935400 or 07747 565514 or email your application .
The salary range/rates of pay is dependent upon your experience, qualifications or training.
Robert Half Ltd acts as an employment business for temporary positions and an employment agency for permanent positions. Robert Half is committed to equal opportunity and diversity. Suitable candidates with equivalent qualifications and more or less experience can apply. Where rates of pay or salary ranges are detailed these are dependent upon your experience, qualifications or training. If you wish to apply for this position please read our Privacy Notice which details how we may use, process, store and disclose your Personal Information: https://www.roberthalf.co.uk/privacy-notice.
Lewins Mead, Bristol
gb 0117 993 5400