Head of Finance
Location : Bristol
Post Date : 26 September 2017
Employment Type : Permanent
Job Order Number : 06010-0010099775
Line of Business : Accounting and Finance
Robert Half Finance and Accounting are recruiting a fantastic opportunity for a Head of Finance to join Merlin, a leading Housing Society based in the South West of England. (Based in Chipping Sodbury, South Gloucestershire) To demonstrate the importance of this new role Merlin will offer an attractive basic salary plus benefits and bonus.
Merlin Housing is a 'customer first' sort of business and one of the largest landlords in the South West, the goal is to be a world class organisation, providing homes in communities people aspire to live in to all 16,000 customers across 9,000 homes in the South West. Operating across the South Gloucestershire and Greater Bristol area. Merlin are a growing organisation with growing ambition and are in a strong financial position to deliver on their vision of being world class by 2020 and are looking for a candidate committed to making this ambition a reality!
Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Head of Finance is a key role within the business. A member of Merlin's leadership team, the role is accountable for leading the finance team in the production of all Merlin's financial reporting along with the transactional accounting that underpins it. The Head of Finance will lead a team that works closely with the business to challenge and improve financial performance and ensure effective financial control. The business are looking for a qualified senior professional with experience of successfully leading and developing teams. First class communication skills and the ability to build successful long-term working relationships with a variety of senior stakeholders is essential.
- Provide excellent leadership to the finance team to enable the delivery of key financial management activities including monthly reporting, statutory reporting, accounts payable/receivable and payroll.
- Contribute to the strategic leadership of Merlin as a member of the Senior Leadership Team, developing, shaping and achieving core business plan objectives
- Take an active role in the directorate management team, contributing fully to the development and delivery of business improvement plans and directorate objectives.
- Oversee the production of monthly financial performance reports to the Executive Team and the Board and the further development of reporting information to meet the ongoing needs of the business
- Manage the production of the financial statements including lead responsibility for the statutory accounts, including auditor liaison, and reporting on how Merlin is meeting regulatory requirements on value for money
- Ensure that an effective and comprehensive system of risk management and key internal financial controls is in place and adhered to providing assurance to the Director of Finance on the adequacy of such controls.
- Provide support to the Director of Finance and Executive Team.
- Ensure close liaison is maintained with the Head of Treasury and Financial Planning and deliver co-ordinated working between the finance team and the treasury and financial planning staff.
Management and leadership
- Set an example by demonstrating high standards of integrity and conduct
- Manage and motivate staff in the team to achieve excellent performance
- Work effectively with other staff across the organisation
- Drive development of business strategy across the business
- Be an ambassador for Merlin in relationships with stakeholders
- Relevant professional accounting qualification for example ACCA, CIMA, CIPFA, ICA.
- Experience at senior management level, leading a large, multi-disciplinary team in a service-led organisation
- Experience of producing statutory accounts, management accounts and budgets for a large company
- Evidence of delivering effective, responsive and flexible customer focused services
- Leadership and motivation of staff
- A high level of business acumen and commercial awareness
- A highly motivated and value-driven individual, committed to delivering excellent services for the customer
- Commitment to working as part of a team and leading where necessary including a lead role in team development
- Strong analytical and numerical skills
- Strong IT skills including good working knowledge of Microsoft Office and high level Excel skills
- Ability to plan, prioritise and manage efficiently and flexibly
- Influencing skills with proven ability to work with others and achieve results
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to think and act strategically
- Commitment to customer care and equality and diversity
For more information please contact Oliver Price at Robert Half on 01179 935400 or email
All Third Party Cv's will be sent to Robert Half as part of the exclusivity agreement
Robert Half Ltd acts as an employment business for temporary positions and an employment agency for permanent positions. Robert Half is committed to equal opportunity and diversity. Suitable candidates with equivalent qualifications and more or less experience can apply.
BS1 2NT Lewins Mead