Senior Infrastructure Engineer (Linux)
GBP40000 - 45000 / annum
14th May 2019
Robert Half Technology have been given a mandate to recruit a Senior Infrastructure Engineer (Linux) for a rapidly growing business based near Coventry. Our client has grown over 80% in the last and is expected to continue that growth through 2019.
Key Responsibilities of the Senior Infrastructure Engineer (Linux) role:
The role of a Senior Infrastructure Engineer (Linux) will play a key part of realising the strategy and IT Vision by providing Linux and Cloud (AWS) infrastructure expertise to effectively support our clients in-house developed applications. You will be responsible for providing technical oversight and lifecycle management for all aspects of the on-premise and cloud-based infrastructure and related technologies to ensure stability and high levels of availability and performance.
- Provide technical oversight and lifecycle management for all aspects of the on-premise and cloud-based infrastructure and related technologies to ensure stability and high levels of availability and performance of our in-house developed applications.
- To manage the supporting infrastructure in conjunction the with Development team ensuring all instances are sized appropriately and are effectively maintained
- Work with the Development team to efficiently deploy code to production environments
- Work to continually improve DevOps based processes, procedures and technology to optimise service delivery.
- Provide technical leadership to key projects as well as directly managing infrastructure-based projects as required.
- Provide an escalation point for troubleshooting and problem solving of infrastructure-based issues
- To respond to monitoring alerts to any health issues with network appliances, servers, backups and cloud services/infrastructure
- Liaise effectively with 3rd party suppliers and support providers to ensure issues and solutions are provided within expected service levels
- To undertake regular reviews of the server and network infrastructure from a capacity and functional perspective
- To perform regular BCP/DR tests to ensure the business can continue to run in the event of disruption
- Maintain and develop the IT monitoring infrastructure
- Managing and improving SOPs, policies and other core infrastructure documentation
- Arrange regular penetration testing and lead the resulting mitigation programme
- Share specialist technical knowledge with other members of the IT Operations team
Key Skills of the role:
- Extensive knowledge and experience of Linux (e.g. Ubuntu, Centos, RHEL) and Linux based applications such as Apache, HAProxy, MySQL, RabbitMQ.
- Extensive hands-on experience of LAMP/LEMP stack installation, configuration and administration
- Strong experience of AWS, especially EC2, VPC, RDS, S3, Cloudfront, Route 53, IAM, CloudWatch
- Experience Managing and automating code deployments and CI/CD pipelines, especially using Jenkins
- Experience of Configuration Management, especially using Ansible
- Strong Scripting skills using Bash (or PHP or Python)
- Designing and implementing infrastructure for web applications to ensure security, resiliency and scalability both on-premise and in AWS/public cloud
- Managing a multi-site virtualised server estate, preferably using Hyper-V
- Good understanding of protocols and technologies underpinning web applications and the internet (networking and routing, DNS, TCP/IP, TLS, CDN's, load balancing, application firewalls)
- Good general understanding of virtualisation, containerisation, microservices and DevOps and public cloud principles and the benefits and challenges associated with each
- Knowledge of storage technologies (e.g. Nimble)
- Experience managing and maintaining backup services (e.g. Veeam or similar)
- Good communication skills, demonstrating the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Understanding of Incident, Problem and Change Management methodologies
- The ability to work under pressure and to tight timescales
Salary & Benefits:
- £40,000 - £45,000
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Contribution pension scheme
- Training and development opportunities
Robert Half Ltd acts as an employment business for temporary positions and an employment agency for permanent positions. Robert Half is committed to equal opportunity and diversity. Suitable candidates with equivalent qualifications and more or less experience can apply. By applying to this position, you acknowledge that you have read and accept the following terms: https://www.roberthalf.co.uk/privacy-notice
BirminghamThe Colmore Building,
20 Colmore Circus, Queensway,
gb 0121 616 4600