£50,000.00 - £55,000.00 / annum
16th April 2019
Accounting and Finance
Diamond Light Source Limited
Diamond is the UKs synchrotron, which is a world leading, state of the art facility that attracts users from all over the world and employs over 40 nationalities. It is a very powerful machine that uses electrons to generate synchrotron light in the form of x-rays, ultraviolet and infrared beams.
Most of the experiments carried out at Diamond use x-rays that are many billion times brighter than the sun. Diamond is a very vibrant and diverse organisation where the scientific researchers study a wide range of biological, chemical and material samples at the atomic and molecular level
Finance Business Partner
Diamond is recruiting a permanent Finance Business Partner to join an experienced finance function. This position will suit qualified accountants who can contribute, at both the strategic and operational level, to the financial planning and management of the Division to underpin the Vision, Strategy and Delivery Plans of Diamond
Working closely with Budget holders and other Finance staff, the role will continuously improve the financial management capabilities of Diamond ensuring that the financial tools, analysis and reporting are developed to facilitate informed and optimal decisions at all levels
The position will be responsible for:
- Develop a full understanding of the business area to be able to effectively analyse and interpret the numbers and understand the implications of them; providing options and suggestions to budget holders as to how to manage unpredicted issues/activities that have to be solved for from a financial perspective.
- Produce financial management reports to enable senior leaders to manage financial risks in both the short-term and long-term decision making processes, e.g. capital investment decisions, management of resource expenditure.
- This post has a focus on the Physical Science Division from an operational perspective plus will be responsible for all Science Capital. Will remain involved and will contribute to the grant activities within the Physical Science Division and be responsible for the consolidation and reporting on all capital.
- Provide clear direction and guidance to Directors and all budget holders to enable the overall financial management of the Division. To provide financial training to the staff who support the budget holders where required.
- Responsible for the compilation of all budgets, forecasts and internal financial management reporting, providing insights, analysis and interpretation of the financial results to enable full utilisation of the resources available and provide the financial component for decision making; both short and long term for their area of focus.
- Challenge and influence budget holders and senior management through informed analysis and interpretation to ensure that budgets are realistic, underpin what is to be delivered and that the budgets within the Division(s) are prioritised and tensioned so that the final approved budget (or Forecast) accurately reflects the priorities and needs and assumptions are made are clear.
- Working with other members of Finance, develop consistent financial processes; ensuring an appropriate level of detail so that senior management has a good understanding of all their budget responsibilities from a financial perspective at a given level in the organisation and by major category of spend and income.
- Fully qualified accountant (CIMA, ACCA or equivalent)
- Significant financial management experience -covering budgeting, forecasting and "value added" reporting
- Financial Planning and Analysis
- Broad knowledge of management accounting concepts and general accounting procedures
- Thorough understanding of Finance systems
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office
- Use of Financial Management tools e.g. Cognos/Hyperion
Salary & Benefits
£42,297 to £49,761 per annum (Discretionary range depending on experience and expertise to £57,225) plus excellent benefits including:
- a defined benefit pension,
- 25 days (plus 13 days statutory and company holidays)
- Flexible working hours where appropriate
PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL THIRD PARTY APPLICATIONS WILL BE FORWARDED TO ROBERT HALF
Robert Half Ltd acts as an employment business for temporary positions and an employment agency for permanent positions. Robert Half is committed to equal opportunity and diversity. Suitable candidates with equivalent qualifications and more or less experience can apply. By applying to this position, you acknowledge that you have read and accept the following terms: https://www.roberthalf.co.uk/privacy-notice
SwindonSuite B, Ground Flr,
The Stella Building,
Whitehill Way, Swindon
gb 01793 571900