Assistant accountants are relied upon to help qualified accountants with daily duties, month end close and year-end statutory accounts. They work within the finance function and provide professional support in all areas of business accounting
Assistant accountant job description and responsibilities
Assistant accountants are tasked with supporting qualified accountants within the business finance function. They are involved in a wide array of accounting tasks, from report preparation to ledger maintenance, bank statement reconciliation and cash flow forecasting.
Because theirs is a support role, assistant accountants should be reliable, pay close attention to detail and have excellent time management and organisation skills.
Daily tasks include:
- Producing profit and loss accounts
- Managing accruals and repayments
- Assisting with transactional processing duties (posting and raising invoices, credit control etc.)
- Budgeting and forecasting
- Preparing internal and external reports
- Reconciling bank balances
- Preparing monthly Management Accounts
- Assisting with cash flow forecasting
- Answering purchase/sales ledger queries
- Reconciling supplier statements and payments
- Helping to prepare tax returns
- Assisting with treasury activities
Assistant accountant job qualifications, skills and experience
Although a degree in accounting, finance or mathematics is useful, it is not strictly necessary. Professionals can transition into an assistant accountant role with an AAT qualification.
An ACCA or CIMA part qualification is essential, with a view to actively studying towards a full qualification. Advanced Excel skills are needed for the role, and previous experience in a finance or accounting position is helpful.
An assistant accountant should have some of the following soft skills:
- Good attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Good organisation skills
- Ambitious attitude
- Willingness to learn
- Able to take direction
Are you looking for assistant accountant roles? You can find our latest vacancies here.