A fund accountant is responsible for preparing consolidated accounts and investor reporting for investment funds, such as real estate, debt, or private equity.
In some cases, fund accountants are tasked with reviewing work prepared by the fund administrator before the main fund accounting is outsourced. They work alongside an investment manager to ensure the fund is well serviced.
Fund accountant job description and responsibilities
Businesses employ fund accountants to ensure that each fund is achieving its objectives, while remaining compliant. In some cases, this role is more focussed on how money is spent rather than the profits incurred. For this reason, professionals are expected to produce transparent financial reporting for management and investors.
Their daily duties will differ slightly depending on the area of specialism: government, non-profit, hedge funds etc. Basic tasks can include:
- Overseeing monthly and quarterly investor reporting
- Overseeing annual audited accounts
- Managing monthly and quarterly VAT returns
- Ensuring fund administrator reporting is accurate, on time, and reflective of wider business insights
- AML checks
- Supporting with year-end audit
- Completing NAV calculations
- Providing compliance reports
- Liaising with investors
- Pricing securities
- Reviewing the expenses, distributions and drawdowns of funds
- Developing and upholding processes for external and internal investor communications/demands
Fund accountant job qualifications, skills and experience
Employers hiring for fund accountant roles will be looking for a professional with a bachelor’s degree in a related subject, such as:
A fund accountant will ideally have some of the following qualifications and skills:
- ACA/ACCA/CIMA qualification
- Experience with specialist software
- UK GAAP and IFRS experience
- Experience working in real estate, debt funds or private equity
- Advanced Excel skills
In order to be a good fit for the role, it’s important for professionals to have some or all of the following traits:
- Good interpersonal skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Good time management skills
- Ability to multitask
Are you looking for fund accountant jobs? You can find our latest vacancies here.