Back end developers are responsible for creating and maintaining technology at the back end of a website (the server, database and application). The attractive visuals created by designers, UX professionals and front end developers couldn’t exist without the technology provided by a back end developer.
Back end developer job description and responsibilities
A backend developer works alongside front end developers, full stack developers, programmers or UX specialists to create comprehensive digital solutions for business needs. They make sure the website is scalable and that it can still function when hit by large loads—be that traffic or demanding scripts. They are also tasked with maintaining and testing existing back end elements to ensure they’re as fast and efficient as possible. Data storage also comes under their remit, which requires them to have a good knowledge of data security and compliance.
Typical duties include:
- Building and maintaining web applications
- Assessing the efficiency and speed of current applications
- Writing high-quality code
- Managing hosting environments
- QA testing
- Troubleshooting and debugging
- Keeping on top of new technologies
Back end developer qualifications, skills and experience
Back end developers should ideally have experience working in a back end environment. Employers will be looking for a minimum requirement of a Bachelor’s degree in a related subject, such as Computer Science.
- Professionals should have some or most of the following skills and experience:
- Fluent in scripting languages like Ruby, PHP, .Net, C# or Java
- Experience with Ruby, Laravel, Django or Express frameworks
- Experience with SQL, MySLQ and Oracle database systems
- Version control, such as Git, CVS or SVN
- Knowledge of SOAP and REST web services
Knowledge and experience with compliance and data security is also important, especially after the implementation of GDPR. Developers should also have some of the following personal qualities:
- Good problem solving skills
- High attention to detail
- Good analytical thinking
- Excellent communication
- Ability to work well as part of a team
Are you looking for a back end developer job? You can find our latest vacancies here.