The head of IT is responsible for the IT division and is part of the business leadership team. Professionals in this role will work closely with the C-suite (the COO in particular) to ensure the business has the technical capabilities needed to reach success and drive growth.
Head of IT job description and responsibilities
The head of IT is responsible for business IT and IS services. They typically oversee professionals in IT systems and infrastructure, IT engineering and IT group team leadership.
They routinely carry out GAP analysis on the business’ IT tech and team to ensure that there is adequate capability to reach future business goals.
Some daily duties include:
- Optimising business IT processes
- Monitoring IT efficiency
- Assessing, monitoring and upgrading business systems and processes
- Liaising with vendors and 3rd parties
- IT security and governance
- Managing and developing the business IT division
- Stakeholder management
Head of IT job qualifications, skills and experience
To become head of IT, a professional should start with a degree in one of the following subjects (or similar):
- Computer Science
- Information Technology
- Information Systems
Good technical knowledge in the following areas may also be required:
- IT management
- Infrastructure and applications
- Data warehousing, architecture and networking
- Knowledge of cloud platforms and technologies
- A minimum of 5 years of IT service delivery experience
- Experience with business operations platforms
Professionals in a HoIT role should also possess some of the following soft skills:
- Good leadership abilities
- Negotiation skills
- Analytical thinking
- Excellent communication skills
- Strategic thinking
Are you looking for a head of IT job? You can find our latest vacancies here.