An IT director ensures that the business has the technology it needs to meet customer needs and business objectives. They connect the C-suite and the IT team, keeping strategy in alignment with business goals. They continually assess business IT systems, as well as overseeing budgets, relationships with third party suppliers/consultants and the smooth running of operations connected with the business’ IT systems.
IT director job description and responsibilities
Professionals within this role are responsible for software and information across the entire organisation. They manage all IT staff, as well as liaising with senior business leaders and external consultants and providers.
IT director responsibilities include:
- Determining business requirements for IT systems
- Identifying new technology to benefit the business
- Maintaining and assessing all business storage, software and hardware
- Developing the business’ technology strategy IT budget and cost control
- Liaising with senior business stakeholders
- Using technology to manage business risk and to uphold compliance
- Supplier negotiation
- Strategy and planning
IT director qualifications, skills and experience
IT professionals hoping to reach director level should have a degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science or any related subject. Employers will also be looking for some of the following technical skills and experience when hiring for the role:
- Experience with methodologies like PRINCE2, ITIL, Scrum and Agile
- EMR or EHR systems experience
- Project management skills
- 5+ years’ management experience within an IT environment
Other skills needed for the role are:
- Strong intrapersonal skills
- Analytical skills
- Business acumen
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Senior IT professionals will also be expected to keep on top of current and emergent IT technology trends and predictions.
Are you looking for IT director jobs? You can find our latest vacancies here.